There have been more than a few years of procrastination. There has even been hypocritical preaching to others about it.
I have always had an excuse for not doing it; I was a student, I was poor, I was travelling, I was living in Bolivia, I had no garden, It wasn't my garden, I was too busy, I was too lazy.
Today I disregard the excuses, and today I have embarked on a small project to grow and nurture some fruit and herbs; Strawberries, Chives, Thyme and Basil. This venture has been seeded by my friend Jer, who unwittingly, has become my herb-mentor. The seeds, pots, cuttings and compost were provided by him, in return for helping remove 3 boulders from his guerrilla vegetable patch, which I am very envious of. There is envy of both the patch and the clandestine aspect of it.
This offshoot of Jer's own patch has now taken root on a windowsill in Lucan. Born out of barter for labor, it's roots are organic in more ways than the obvious. It will be subject to difficult environmental conditions and will inevitably suffer from its owner's learning-curve of ineptitude. Despite my best efforts it might wither and die, but the idea and conviction that brought it to be, is made of stronger stuff.
This idea that has germinated, long before the seeds betray their green shoots, should also be protected and nurtured, and hopefully will be strong enough one day to pass on its memetic code.
No comments:
Post a Comment